Wednesday, December 6, 2017

ACHOO! AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Image result for sick with a cold

It is finally feeling like winter here in North Georgia. Today is a cold, drizzly day, and we will even see temps dip below freezing a few nights this week. Believe me, that's cold for this area of the country!

Image result for sick with a cold
Along with that, several family members have been fighting respiratory issues--one granddaughter even had strep throat! I have been sick for nearly two weeks with head and bronchial congestion, coughing, runny/stuffy nose, and generally feeling yucky all over. I can't hear well, either, because of my ears being swollen inside. I've guarded against ear infections, because those things are nasty--I've even had an eardrum to burst years ago because of infection. Not planning on that happening again, because it was extremely painful, and my hearing didn't return for weeks. You can imagine how much fun it was teaching, when I couldn't hear what students said or if they said anything!

In any case, 'tis the season to be jolly, so I'm doing my best. I haven't gotten out much at all, so I almost feel like a recluse. I don't want to spread my germs around in respect for those out there with compromised immune systems. They don't need this! Nor do they want it.

Now, to change the subject: have you decorated for the holidays yet? Guess what--I haven't, because I really haven't felt like it. Clark is a little congested, too, so neither of us feels like dealing with those boxes of Christmas decorations! I would like to get the tree up, at least. We have a small, four-foot tree, which is prelighted and we've left the decorations on it for the past two years. Clark just puts one of those large leaf and lawn bags over it and sets it in the storage building, all set for the next year. All it takes to put it up is to plug it in and fluff up the branches a bit (after removing the plastic bag, of course). I set it on a table in one of the front windows, so from outside, it looks like a tall tree. Last year, Clark put lights and wreaths on the front of the house, but I don't think he will this year. It is a lot of work, especially as one gets older.

I usually decorate the mantel with our Christmas stockings, garland, lights, and Christmas candles, mugs, and angels. I also usually put my Christmas tablecloth and napkins on the dining room table, put decorative Christmas stockings in each window, adorn the grandfather clock with a Santa hat and green garland, put out my Christmas placemats on the table in the breakfast nook, use my Christmas dish towels and potholders, and hang various and sundry Christmas wreaths around inside. I also have a ceramic lighted Christmas village I usually place on one of the tables, along with fake snow, a musical pair of carolers dressed in vintage clothing, and a Christmas doll. We'll see how far I get in decorating by the time the family comes for Christmas! I would like to get some of it up . . .


This year, we adults in the family are merely going to exchange gift cards, (1) because it's easier, and they are always the right color, sized, etc.; (2) you can buy more for the same amount of money AFTER Christmas with all the post-holiday sales; (3) we plan to give actual gifts to the grandchildren, since they have already sent us a list of things they'd like.

Our family celebrates the true meaning of Christmas, which is Christ's birth. I love the Christmas story of His birth in Luke 2, and I never tire of hearing it. Our daughter Holly and her hubby Philip continue that tradition with the grandchildren. God has blessed us all abundantly, and we want to honor His son for His birth.

Christmas is a special season, and I love all the accoutrements of it. May you enjoy yours as well, doxie lovers. Neither Duke no Shadow will be with us this year, but Bruno and Sunny will. I'm sure they'll enjoy trying to steal a few bits of our food. Duke and Shadow would be proud.

Merry Christmas, doxie lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton