Wednesday, April 13, 2016

HOW TO EAT AROUND A DACHSHUND


There's much truth to that statement; in fact, I'd like to add to it: I've learned to eat just about everything more quietly since we got Duke, but it usually doesn't work.

He can be dead asleep under his blanket on the couch, but if I tiptoe into the kitchen and get out a slice of cheese, he's there underfoot before I know it. He has a lot of favorite foods, actually, so with the exception of those foods we can't give him (like grapes, tomatoes, onions, and so on), he's game for just about anything else. Oh, he doesn't like lettuce, but he likes yogurt (except for the banana flavor.). He doesn't really like bananas very much, either.

Dachshunds, a.k.a. chow hounds extraordinaire, have such good noses that I can only imagine how much better food smells to them than it does to us humans. I made spaghetti sauce in the crock pot this week, and after an hour or so, it really started smelling wonderful. To a dog, each ingredient is smelled separately, so my chow hound knew exactly what was in my sauce, even if he didn't know the name of each item: ground beef, onions, Italian seasoning, garlic, diced tomatoes, undiluted tomato soup (takes away some of the sour taste) and Classico garlic and basil sauce as the base. Oh, it was great after slow cooking for five hours. Along with our tossed salad and garlic bread, it was a delicious meal. 

Duke loves to eat the pasta by itself--we used angel hair--and he acts like it is delicious!  As you know, pasta alone has very little taste, but I suppose he likes the unusual shape of it. We give him a small bowl with some angel hair, and he's so happy.

Dachshunds . . . you gotta love 'em!

"You gonna eat that?"

2 comments:

  1. Truer words never spoken. Even our new doxie, who is still afraid of me, will poke his head out from under the covers to take a delicious morsel from my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truer words never spoken. Even our new doxie, who is still afraid of me, will poke his head out from under the covers to take a delicious morsel from my hand.

    ReplyDelete

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton