Tuesday, October 1, 2013

BOOK 4, A DACHSHUND'S TRIBUTE, NOW COMPLETED!


Yes, I know:  "it's about time."  My mother passed away in January at age 85, and then I had a bad fall in April from which I am still recovering.  Those are the two reasons I put Book 4, the final book of THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES series, on hold for a time.

It was difficult for me to write about my mother after she passed away.  I needed some time to mourn, miss her, and reassess how I wanted to finish Book 4 without her.  After some time passed, I solved the problem by simply writing Sarge's final installment like all the family were still with us, then added "A Word from the Author" at the end explaining that she had left us.



I had spoken to my editor last year before even starting Book 4, knowing it would be the final book of the series.  I asked her what she thought about Papa Duke passing away in the book (he did, after all, die in 2000).  She replied, "No!  We don't want Papa Duke to leave the books!"  So, that settled that.

Now, although my right leg still has some numbness and the left leg still has some pain from the fall, I am doing much, much better.  I find that I tire much more quickly, but then, that could just be due to creeping decrepitude :).  In any case, I have one final read through of Book 4 this week, then it's off to the publisher.

It's a bit sad for me that Sarge's tales have come to an end, since I enjoyed writing them so much.  However, my parents will live on in the books, and for that, I am grateful.  Their great grandchildren will get to know them through the stories that live on, and that makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton