Thursday, August 5, 2010

THE SUN IS ALWAYS SHINING

As a small child around nine years old, I remember an incident when my mom, brother, and I were flying to Germany to join my dad for his tour of duty there (he was in the U.S. Army).  The pilot's voice came over the speakers:  "Ladies and gentlemen, we are approaching a bad thunderstorm, so make sure your seatbelts are fastened--I'm taking this plane above the clouds."

As I looked out my window, I saw dark gray thunderheads, lightning flashing, and I was scared.  In the next moment, I felt the plane banking as the pilot took us up above the clouds.  In a few moments, I was amazed to see that the sun was shining brightly up there, and below us was a carpet of cotton balls.  I turned to my mom, who was sitting beside me, and exclaimed, "Look!  The sun is shining now!"

Gently, she said, "Honey, the sun was shining all along--it always is, even when we can't see it."


As I grew older, I recalled that experience, realizing that it had deep spiritual parallels:  in this life, the thunderclouds of doubt and circumstance often blot out the sunshine (God's love and care), but it is always there, even when we cannot "see" it.  We have to get beyond those barracades in order to experience God's unfailing love and care.

If you are going through a difficult time right now, I sincerely hope you realize that God's love is there for you.  How do you claim it?  Become His child in order to experience His abundant love and grace:  "For whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:9). 

Does that mean your difficulties in this life will be over?  Not at all--but He will guide and direct you, watching over you all the while.  Everything that happens down here has a reason behind it.  God is in control and knows the beginning and ending of every circumstance in my life--and in yours as well.

"If He takes you to it, He will take you through it."  Trust Him--when you cannot see His hand, trust His heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton