Saturday, February 25, 2017

DOES YOUR DOXIE RUN YOUR HOUSE?


Image may contain: dog
Help! The couch has been overtaken by the Hot Dog Gang!

Does your pet take over the house, the bed, the couch--everything?? I love our Duke, but he kinda does "rule the roost." It's my own fault, really, because my hubby works several days a week subbing in our county schools (when he wants to), and that leaves lil' ol' Duke and me here by ourselves.

I do spoil Duke--when I eat my lunch, I always save a few crumbs for him, like sliced turkey and Swiss cheese, carrots, broccoli, etc. He thinks those are manna from heaven! If I decide to work around the house, he finds a soft surface in whatever room I'm in and makes himself comfy. If I think I need an afternoon nap, he crawls up on my lap and looks at me imploringly for a blanket. So we nap together in my recliner. 

He is the perfect companion when Clark is away. BUT when Clark gets home, it's time to play fetch, tug-of-war, what have you, with Daddy. 

Image may contain: 1 person, dog

Duke loves me, too, but he wants different things from me than he does from Clark. I'm his safety zone: if someone is trying to "get" him (playfully, of course), he hides under my feet or in my lap! He expects me to go in the kitchen and cook at appropriate times, and reminds me in no uncertain terms. If he doesn't feel well, he wants his mama.

Daddy is for taking him for walks and for playing. The grandchildren are his siblings, in Duke's mind, and he expects them to get down on the floor and roll around with him while he's trying to lick them in the face or playfully nip their noses. He is, after all, a family member, with all the rights and privileges afforded to the rest of the family. None of us would have it any other way!

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor
L to R: Alexa (11), moi, Annika (12), Clark, and Asher (7) in front

Dachshunds . . . you gotta love 'em, because they're so downright lovable!!

Image may contain: 1 person, dog and outdoor
Duke with his human sister Holly. He loves her to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton