Monday, April 25, 2016

WHO'S THE BOSS?


Man, if that isn't the truth, then I don't know what is--and I can speak from experience, too. My doxie Duke is bossy at times when we don't do what he wants us to do.

Duke: "Well, get that sock on your paw!"
Case in point:
He wants us to play "sock" with him, and either we're busy or too tired or whatever. Now, if you aren't familiar with the game of "sock," I'll clue you in: victim (meaning me) puts an old sock on one hand and lets the dachshund attack it. No, I'm not kidding! I've learned to put TWO socks on my hand, because Duke likes to attack "it" with gusto. Oh, when he realizes that it's actually my live hand (at least, for now) under that sock, he won't bite down, but he sometimes gets carried away and chomps--but thankfully, not too often.

Image result for dachshund with sock
Apparently Duke isn't the only one
who wants to play sock!

The "sock" sneaks up on Duke and attacks, and he growls at it and tries to get it. He rolls over on his back and growls. He puts his head down, staring it down, growling. And he creeps up on it and pounces. All of this, mind you, is usually taking place in my poor lap, so I usually have a throw blanket on there for cushioning from those doxie paws.

Why do I inflict this upon myself, you ask? Because Duke loves the game of sock so much, that's why! And I'm a sucker for those begging doxie eyes and limp ears when he wants to play with me. After all, I feel honored that he chooses me to be his playmate. I know--what a sap I am!

Clark also plays sock with Duke, but Clark is smarter: he sits on the couch and lets Duke do his pouncing, attacking, and jumping ON THE COUCH instead of his lap. But I always sit in my electric recline, because I got in that habit when my knees were back and then after my two knee replacement surgeries. Now, that's the only place I will sit in our living room. So, doxies aren't the only ones who are stubborn! 

Duke staring at me: "Play sock with me!"

My granddawg Shadow (in his younger days) loved to chase the ball. He'd play fetch with a hapless human until said human's shoulder was practically dislocated (Clark knows this from personal experience, too). Shadow never tired of that game, either.

Duke is now nearly nine years old (his birthday is in June), but you'd never know it except for some gray where his tan fur is. He's still a puppy at heart, loves life, loves to get laughs, and his favorite thing is playing sock. Who am I to deny him?

Dachshunds . . . you gotta love 'em. 

Image result for dachshund begging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton