Monday, February 8, 2016

Rx FOR GOOD HEALTH



I recently read an article about a Harvard doctor who made HUGE changes in local nursing homes: he added dogs, cats, chickens, and parakeets to the homes, as well as plants and vegetable gardens.The residents started dressing themselves, they returned numerous wheelchairs, many medications became unnecessary! This idea has spread to several countries and all across the U.S.

I only wish my own mother could have been in one of these delightful places! Her mind was sharp, but her health was so poor she needed around-the-clock care. But she had loved working with her plants and flowers, the garden, and loved her dog Nicki very much. One of the hardest things for her to give up was her Jack Russell. I cannot imagine how it would be to give Duke away!




You don't have to be in a nursing home to realize how much pets can benefit your physical and mental health! Taking care of one or more pets makes us think outside of ourselves as we walk them, feed them, play with them, and look out for them. All of the above are good things.

Thankfully, I don't live alone and have my family relatively close by, but for those who find themselves alone, pets prove to be wonderful companions. Duke is such a good companion to me when my hubby does his substitute teaching in our county (he's a retired teacher, too).

Image result for medication

And dachshunds are loyal, loving, and comical--Duke makes me laugh at least once every day.

Dachshunds . . . you gotta love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton