Monday, July 13, 2015

ENDINGS . . . AND NEW BEGINNINGS



I don't know why, exactly, but A DACHSHUND'S MERRY-GO-ROUND LIFE is harder to write than the first four books of THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES. I suspect it is because it is the end of the line for this series. I really don't want to say good-bye to my characters, most of whom are based on my family and friends. I initially wrote these books for my grandchildren so they'd know all about Papa and Nana Duke (they did know my mom in her later years, but she was in poor health).  They never met their great grandfather Papa Duke because he died long before they were born, nor did they ever meet Sellars, Papa's good buddy, or Renata. Papa Duke's well-known stories were also treasures I wanted to preserve for our family, so that's how these books came into being.

Although Book 5 is the final one of the series, never fear: a spin-off series is waiting in the wings, and the first book from it will be my next project, to be released this fall.  "Miss" Savannah, that lovable and grandmotherly Southern lady with the twinkling blue eyes and a ready laugh from DACHSHUNDS FOREVER and A DACHSHUND'S TRIBUTE will make her debut with her own series! Currently entitled THE SAVANNAH CHRONICLES, the series will be set in St. Simon Island, Georgia.  Remember, she stayed with the children once when Holly and Philip had to go see Papa Duke in the hospital? She also was one of the contestants in the Halloween costume contest in Book 4.

And doxie lovers, a dachshund WILL be in this new series as well, although not as its "author."  He/she (I haven't settled upon a name for said dachshund) will be Savannah's sidekick and helper in her new life, which will be revealed in the final chapters of A DACHSHUND'S MERRY-GO-ROUND LIFE!  Some of your beloved characters from THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES series will put in an appearance from time to time in the new series  as well.

More about the new series later.  Right now, I'm giving my fingers a workout at my computer keyboard as ideas flow quickly, and I must get them down. By the way, this book has some surprises and changes in store, because life is full of surprises and changes. Through them all, God's love shines brightly, and Sarge's family lives that out in Book 5.

Stay tuned for further updates as I type away!

Dachshunds . . . you gotta love 'em.  And I always will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton