Tuesday, January 13, 2015

FOLLOWING MY HEART




"A fiction book's plot, especially Christian fiction, might not go the way the reader desires; in fact, the ending might not be what the reader wanted, either. However, I have to be true to myself and write what I believe the Lord is leading me to write--with no apologies."


I wrote the paragraph above, not because of any criticism or problem, but because I want to make it clear to readers where I am coming from. At a book signing several years ago, a customer asked, "Does the dog die in your book? I don't want to read any more books where the dog dies at the end."


I replied that the dog did not die. That is the crux of the matter: as a Christian, I am keenly conscious of the leading of the Holy Spirit as I write. I realize that bad people, bad actions, and bad situations are a part of life, but I don't wish to glorify such. I believe that everything has a purpose, and if that purpose in my writing is not to glorify God, then I don't write it. If having the main character die in a book does indeed further the cause of Christ, then I will write that into the plot. People die. People hurt. People suffer. But there is a better day coming for those who know the Lord.



I want readers to come away from reading my books feeling encouraged, uplifted, and understanding--that God loves them unconditionally, and He made a way for them to spend eternity with Him. A writer does not need to sound "preachy" to accomplish that. A well-thought-out and well written story can "show, not tell" readers that God's unconditional love is available for all who accept Him, no strings attached. Only then can a person begin to live his or her life according to God's plan, not by hit or miss. Only then can a person find inner peace and joy. Happiness is fickle--it is swayed by circumstances and things. Joy is God given and enduring, very unlike finite happiness.

THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES are written from a dachshund's viewpoint. But Sarge's view, of being on the outside looking in regarding Christianity and his understanding of it, illustrates how we are before receiving God's grace wrapped in a bow: salvation for eternity made possible by Christ's death on the cross--He took my place and took my punishment for my sins. We humans can understand how to accept such a wonderful gift, but often we choose not to. What a shame.

"For by grace are you saved through faith; it is the gift of God, not of works, so that no person can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

"For, everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." Romans 10:13


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton