Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"J" IS FOR . . . JUST BECAUSE!




Ever had someone answer with "just because" when asked the why of something? Children are noted for saying that; often, when asked WHY they did something wrong, that is what they say.  Even adults tend to say that.


I submit that "just because" is not any kind of reason.  It's simply a cop-out, a lame excuse, and a non-answer.  If one is three years old, we'll look the other way or even smile at that answer, but if much older, "just because" doesn't cut it, people!




It all goes to accountability.  Students in school caught cheating often try to use that answer.  They don't want to 'fess up that they cheated so they could get better grades, stay on the sports team, or get ahead of a fellow classmate.  Those are quite understandable reasons, even if they are not good reasons for cheating (not that there is ANY good reason for cheating!).  Some students have even told me that they had to cheat because my tests were just too hard.  I have felt both sorry and angry at such a comment.  It's pitiful that a student felt that the only way he or she could pass was by cheating.  I always offered help class before tests were given, and always had my door open after school to help students when they wanted help.


Well, this post is not about cheating.  It can be about many things.  For instance, how would you like to hear "just because" as the answer to the following questions?

PERSONAL:
*Why do you love me?
*Why don't you love me?
*Why did you ask me out on a date?
*Why do you always say such mean things?
*Why didn't you call like you promised to do?

BUSINESS:
*Why was I fired from this job?
*Why didn't I get that promotion?
*Why didn't you hire me?
*Why did you reduce my salary?
*Why didn't you choose our agency instead of that one?

MISCELLANEOUS:
*For whom are you voting in the presidential election?
*What is the capital of Iran?
*Where did you put the car keys?
*What was Adolph Hitler's middle name?

In case you didn't notice, that last set of questions was totally ridiculous!  Only a fool would dream of answering them with "just because."  I told you I have a zany sense of humor.  I can feel the eyes rolling . . .

Why did I even write a post about this?  Why, "just because!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton