Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ENGLISH IS A CRAZY LANGUAGE

I've always told my English students that I didn't create English grammar and usage rules:  I just teach them (or attempt to teach them) to those who often aren't too keen on learning them!  However, I submit that knowledge of grammar, usage, and writing skills is pretty important in just about every facet of life today.  

At the very least, filling out an application form without spelling and punctuation errors, for example, can often mean the difference between landing a job and continuing the search for a job. I have seen glaring mistakes in resumes and cover letters from those who should know better.  Perhaps a misspelled word does not have a bearing upon one's ability to perform a job, but in today's competitive job market climate, first impressions are still the name of the game.  If job seekers overlook spelling errors on their own letters and resumes, what else might they miss while on the job?  (I'm just being the devil's advocate here, thinking like an interviewer for filling positions--which I have been at times).

So, I'll readily concede that "English is a crazy language," but it behooves us to learn it and know it well.  After all, our language is the vehicle through which we communicate to the world out there.

How well are you doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton