Friday, November 18, 2011

CHRISTMAS: A CHRISTIAN PERSPECTIVE

I wrote the following post last year at the start of the Christmas season.  I feel it is apropos again this year, so I am reposting this entry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Merchants gladly accept customers' money during the Christmas season, but hedge on calling it Christmas--"Holiday Shopping, Winter Shopping," etc. I submit that if certain merchants choose not to call this beloved holiday by its rightful name, then I choose not to patronize them."

Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la la la la la. That, my dear friends, is not all there is to Christmas! Political correctness notwithstanding, "Jesus IS the REASON for the SEASON."

While this post is bordering on a rant, I stand my ground: Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Period. If folks don't like the fact that it is Christmas, then they should just clam up and get out of the way when we celebrate it! And, why spend lots of money on Christmas presents and decorations, celebrating the secular side of this holiday, but object to its raison d'etre, or its basis for being a holiday in the first place??

Merchants gladly accept customers' money during the Christmas season, but hedge on calling it Christmas--"Holiday Shopping, Winter Shopping," etc. I submit that if certain merchants choose not to call this beloved holiday by its rightful name, then I choose not to patronize them. Raking in the money from customers buying Christmas gifts during the Christmas season, but afraid and/or negative about rightfully calling the season Christmas? Talk about hypocrisy!

The giving of gifts is an admirable and enjoyable exercise; decorating the house with holly, greenery, red bows, candles, a beautiful tree, etc. is also enjoyable, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that! HOWEVER, I take exception when various entities and individuals want to take the REAL Christmas away from Christians. Seriously, other faiths are allowed to celebrate their holy days unimpeded. So, I believe we should as well.

The birth of my Lord Jesus Christ is the essence of the of my Christian faith. He is the cornerstone--He was born, He lived a sinless life, and He died on that cross for me and for anyone who will accept Him as Savior.

I therefore want to wish all of you a blessed Christmas, and if you do not know Him as your Savior, I invite you to accept Him: Romans 3:23, 3:10, 6:23, 5:8,10:9, 10, 13. What a wonderful and enduring Christmas present that would be: eternal life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton