Friday, September 2, 2011

VOTER ID: WHY CONTROVERSIAL?

"I don't see why it would be a problem to have voters produce photo ID to prove that they are (1) citizens, and (2) are not using someone else's name when showing up at the polls. This action could go a long way in eliminating, or at least reducing, voter fraud."

Since the 2012 election campaign is already gearing up, I posted the above statement as my Facebook status recently--and I received a torrent of comments!  Nobody disagreed with my statement (or, if they did, they didn't have the wherewithal to comment):

1) I agree. I worked the polls for years and many people asked why we didn't ask for picture IDs.


2) We always have to show ID when we vote in WV.

3) I agree 100% with you and I'm infuriated at the argument that requiring a state- or military-issued ID is a voting "tax." We're talking about a $10 ID/driver's license that is valid in NC for 8 years. C'mon now!

4) Why not issue the id for free if that is the problem.

5) I totally agree - I have to show mine and sign 2 different things here in TN.

6) In NC, you just have to tell them your name! Anyone could use another's name since they do not require any kind of verification. That needs to change, and it is NOT SUPPRESSING PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO VOTE. It's suppressing voter fraud!

7) I just don't get THAT one! Yes, even banks require ID if they're not familiar with you.

8) I agree.

9) I agree.

10) The most recent time I voted they couldn't find my name, and I just leaned over the table and pointed to my name on the printout. I could have said I was ____________, and I think I would have gotten away with it.

11) I think a photo ID is a good idea any time the activity has restrictions. If it is required, there is no question of "picking on" anybody for any reason. What I would love to see is enough restriction on the people working at the polls so that they wouldn't have people working who can't find the names on the lists!

12) Here in FL I try to show my ID and voter registration and they never look at them. We SHOULD be required to identify ourselves. Of course, then the dead can't vote as easily in Chicago.

13) At this rate, what's to stop illegals (or anyone else) from voting several times and in several districts?? Maybe that's one of the reasons behind the outrage over requiring ID!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton