Wednesday, June 29, 2011

THINGS PEOPLE SHOULDN'T SAY

Ever heard a comment that was downright mean, ridiculous, or at least inappropriate?  Ever said something you wish you could have instantly recalled?  We're all in that boat.  Anyone who talks as much as I do is bound to end up with my foot in my mouth on occasion.  It's kinda hard to walk sometimes!

Years ago, an older lady had chronic health issues and could not get out often.  She came to church one Sunday, the first time she was able to do so in a number of months. (I was in my twenties then, so she might not have been all that "old" at the time.)  Several of us were greeting her before the service, and another young woman, I suppose in an attempt to compliment her,  blurted out, "Ladies, don't you hope you look that good when you get that old?"

Nobody said anything, but there was some eye rolling as we all attempted to ignore the poorly worded comment.  In one fell swoop, the audacious lady managed to emphasize the older woman's age.

Overheard at a funeral, to the grieving widow:  "Oh, you'll be fine.  I bet you'll be married by next year!"  WHAT WAS THAT PERSON THINKING??

Those with weight problems have heard every kind of comment under the sun about weight issues: 

"Oh, have you lost weight?" (to the individual who had lost 20 pounds).  Sometimes it doesn't show up for awhile, you know!

"How many pounds do you need to lose?  Fifty??  Wow, that's almost half of what I weigh!"

Then there was the thoughtless student who said to his teacher: "That sure is a giant brown dress you're wearing."

The other side of this issue is equally grating:

"Hey, eat another piece of this cake--you're practically a skeleton!"

"When was the last time you ate a complete meal?  Your clothes are just hanging on you."

One of my all-time unfavorite comments (I know that "unfavorite" is not a proper word, but it suits what I'm saying), directed to a teenage girl with acne:  "Honey, what is wrong with your face?  Don't you ever wash it properly?" 

As I stated earlier, we all say things we regret.  However, some comments are just over the top in thoughtlessness. 

Get a grip, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton