Tuesday, June 10, 2014

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY IN HEAVEN, DAD

My late father, known as "Papa Duke" in THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES, was one of the main reasons I wrote those books--to let his great grandchildren (whom he never met, sadly) know him and about him.  He passed away before they were born.

Here's a fitting tribute to my friendly, outgoing, teddy bear of a man, my dad:


I also posted this poem on my Facebook page, Mavis Duke Hinton's Books.  Someone once said that we never really "get over" the death of a loved one; we merely learn to keep going, and the warm memories will eventually replace the pain that is felt at the time we lose them.  I agree wholeheartedly!

I have many fond memories of my dad, and now the little great grandchildren can have them as well.  My eight-year-old granddaughter Alexa has been reading I AM SARGE.  She recently asked me, "Grandma, did that fishing story really happen?"  I was thrilled to tell her that it did, but the main difference between the one in the book and the actual event was that Sarge the doxie wasn't with Papa and Sellars in the boat.  Sarge had to be there in order to tell the story firsthand.  In fact, the real event actually occurred in Alaska, whereas in the book, it happened in North Carolina. Writing fiction allows one some leeway :).

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY IN HEAVEN, DAD!  We miss you.

Dad with his catch of salmon in Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!

Dachshund Books for Dog Lovers!
Click on the BOOKS tab at the top of this blog

Write a Review!

Write a Review!
Visit www.amazon.com/author/mavisdukehinton